Thursday, October 20, 2011

Waiting anxiously for this stage to last...


Just awhile ago, I had a serious discussion with my daughter Elle Marie about her long-time crush Lawrence.

Mama: Elle, who said that Lawrence is your boyfriend?
Elle: Me
Mama: Why is he your boyfriend?
Elle: Because I love him
Mama: Does Arian have a boyfriend?
Elle: No
Mama: How about Denise?
Elle: No
Mama: O, then why do you have a boyfriend?
Elle: But, I like Lawrence!
Mama: I think you mean Lawrence is your friend right?
Elle: Yes
Mama: Ok, Lucas is your friend right?
Elle: No
Mama: Ha?! Why not?
Elle: Lawrence only
Mama: Santi is your friend right?
Elle: No, only lawrence

I have nothing against Lawrence. He is a good boy... good looking, came from a good family, maybe he will grow up to be the boy next door every Mom would want her daughter to introduce as her boyfriend BUT not at 5!

When will my daughter stop this "Lawrence" stage in her life?! I am getting impatient! I don't even know how it started! All I can recall is that while in Senior Nursery, Lawrence was the crush nang bayad! and I thought Elle would outgrow it! Not no!

My first official crush was when I was in grade 3. I have this chubby looking classmate whom I really like because he iwas so intelligent! But, I don't talk about him much... I don't think anybody knew that I like him. Yes, I was in grade 3 and I was only 9 going 10 that time! And my daughter just turned 5! and she is talking about marrying Lawrence and going out to watch a movie with him?! duh?!

I don't know whether I am feeling this way because my daughter is too young to have a serious crush or because Lawrence doesn't return her affection. Yes, my heart is torn into pieces every time I witness Lawrence ignore Elle. I cannot endure seeing my daughter brokenhearted. I cannot bear the thought that she is crying over a guy!

During my younger days, I safeguarded my heart by having multiple crushes. I told myself that it pays to have so many crushes at least I don't feel bad if a crush ignores me. When Noy first broke my heart, I told myself that I don't deserve to be treated that way. I convinced myself that I deserve better and focused myself to other guys. When my ex and I broke up, I told myself that it was better that way at least I discovered that there were other guys just waiting for me to be unattached...

For now, I am convincing myself that Elle will get over this "Lawrence" stage in her life and maybe find another boy to really, really like. What is important for me is that fact that my daughter is opening up to me and that there is open communication between us.

If ever I get to talk to her again about this boyfriend thinggy... I would tell her that based on my experience, it is ok to appreciate guys but it also pays to wait for the right time... which nobody knows when! Just look at her Mama and Papa, we waited and now we have her and Bien!

No comments: