Monday, April 6, 2009

Bisita iglesia sa Iloilo...

It has been a tradition by our family in Iloilo City to do the "Bisita Iglesia" every Lenten Season. We would visit seven (sometimes more than seven) churches and offer prayers to Jesus Christ. Bisita Iglesia is supposed to be the last time for Christians to pray with Jesus Christ before the guards catch him and subject him to death.

I remember, Nene would drive us around the city. We would sometimes invite her friends or our neighbors to ride with us. It was a great bonding time for me and my sisters because this is one of the few activities that we have a chance to do together (since I studied in Manila). This year, Noy was the one who drove us around while Mama served a the guide.

First stop:La Paz Church. We literally grew up in this church. We had our first communion, flores de mayo, and every catholic tradition that we think of with this church. This photo is courtesy of www.exploreiloilo.com.
Second stop: St. Clements Church. We always hear mass in St. Clements Church because Mama really loves their sermons. I also love the interiors of this church. Simple, serene and classy. I wanted to have my wedding here but it was not available for my wedding date.
Third Stop: St Joseph the Worker Church. It is the first time for me to set foot on this church. I have been fascinated by this church every time I visit Mt Carmel Convent but never got to stop and go inside. It's good that we went for the Bisita Iglesia at least now, I know what is in store for me if I go to St. Joseph Church.
Fourth Stop: Jaro Cathedral. This is the famous Jaro Cathedral. Famous for its' interiors and history. They said that the Nuestra Senora de Candelaria is miraculous that is why it is not new to see very long lines of devotees outside the cathedral. Jaro Cathedral is one of the cathedrals that Pope John Paul visited in the country. Fifth Stop: San Jose Church. This is the church where Noy and I exchanged vows. This is also the church where Elle Marie fell asleep . So we headed back home and offered prayers to Jesus Christ on our own rooms.

No comments: