Saturday, April 25, 2009

The day a mango tree fell from heaven...

It was around 1:00p.m. Elle Marie and I just had lunch. Elle has been sick for two days. After lunch, I confined her in Tita Bebe's room to watch her DVDs while I continue to make her a new green dress in the terrace. Despite her sickness, Elle was still hyperactive, she was clinging on the glass window in Tita Bebe's room in the effort to watch me make her new green dress.


I know that our neighbor is cutting down their mango tree that has been there for centuries. (Let me refer to the tree owner as Neighbor 01) It was the tree that supplied us with indian mangoes every summer; the tree that provided shade for Mama's flowers; the tree that attracted birds; and the tree that made our second floor cool. However after our other neighbor (Neighbor 02) complained about the red ants and falling mangoes on their roof in the middle of the night, Neighbor 01 decided to cut it down.


I heard a sound that seemed like a very big branch coming off the tree. It happened in split seconds, the very big branch stood on our Neighbor 02's roof. Even before I could scream, I saw the tree moving toward our house! It was like watching a movie with a big tidal wave. People are running but some just stare until the tidal wave swallowed them. I also froze. In my mind I know that the very big branch will reach me but i did not do anything until I remembered Elle! I run away from the terrace and near elle. Then I heard the very loud bang!

It happened too fast that I did not get to scream for help nor do something. I saw the tree standing on our Neighbor 02's roof all I could think of was Jr because under the roof where the very big branch stood is his room and I know that during that time he was there sleeping. Then I saw the tree coming toward our house but fell short and did not reach our terrace. it fell on our open area and smashed on my father's two week old multicab.

The right side mirror broke while the back plastic window got distorted and the roof splitted into two. Mama's yellow bells and orchids were pinned under the tree. On a normal day, we would be beside the multicab. Elle would be swimming in her rubber swimming pool while I make sure that she has ample water. Fortunately, two days before that day, Mama told me to transfer the swimming pool in the second floor instead. (Elle was only able to swim once in the second floor and I think that's where she got her fever - it was too cold and windy in the second floor.) Just imagine if it was an ordinary day and I did not listen to my mother's advise.


The helper of Neighbor 01 who was cutting down the tree almost kneeled in front of my mother for forgiveness. He was trembling and in a state of shock because he thought somebody was pinned down on the very big branch. (somebody from Neighbor 02 screamed that a child was pinned down). He said that he has no money and would be willing to go to jail for the damages. But, when the police asked whether they should do an investigation - the helper can be detained for negligence resulting to damage to properties, Mama said that we will just settle it among ourselves.


Amidst the damage, I still thank God that nobody was harmed. Neighbor 01 and his helper learned a valuable lesson from this experience. I was also enlightened how fast life can be snatched from me any second. I should be grateful for the simple reason that I am alive to experience and survive this incident.



*attached pix were not taken on the day the mango tree fell on my father's car. pix show the same spot where elle was standing and the green dress that i was making when it happened

No comments: